Glaucous Gull, Great Yarmouth, 25 January 2016

With nothing else locally that really took my fancy I headed over to Yarmouth today. It was a completely unplanned stop but as I drove over the Breydon Bridge I noticed the tide in and loads of waders on the lumps so popped in for a quickish look. The wintering Lesser Yellowlegs was nowhere to be seen and I have to say looking for 'needle in a haystack' birds like doesn't really float my boat! Still, the wader spectacle was worth the stop. I had 13 species - Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, Knot, Avocet, Dunlin, Sanderling, Redshank and Turnstone. Good number of duck too including quite a few Pintail plus a Rock Pipit.

Moving to the seafront I initially spent a fruitless hour at the Waterside/Beaconsfield Rec/Wellesley Road area before wandering into town for lunch. As I walked back I bumped into the juv Glaucous Gull straight away on rooftops c300 yards south of Waterside. It then flew behind the buildings and I picked it up again on the pitch at Wellesley Football Ground. After I'd had my fill of it it would have been rude not to pay homage to the Mediterreanean Gulls on the beach near the Sealife Centre. Without walking more than a few yards I had c12 birds (c11 adults and a 2w). 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment