Borneo, Day 16, 10 April 2016 - Rainforest Discovery Centre and Lahad Datu

Today was the day we moved on but our taxi to Lahad Datu wasn't going until early afternoon so there was time for one last cheeky look at the RDC! And it turned out to be my best visit yet.

This time I was greeted by a nice close Blue-throated Bee-eater by he lake as I made my way towards Woodpecker Avenue and the Kingfisher Trail where I had most of my luck the previous day. Actually I found the unnamed stretch of track south of the WPA/KT junction the best spot. Best sighting of the morning was undoubtedly a gorgeous Diard's Trogon but I also scored with a confiding Greater Racket-tailed Drongo, 2 Oriental Dwarf Kingfishers, Fiery Minivet, Grey-bellied Bulbul, Yellow-bellied Bulbul, 2 Buff-vented Bulbuls, a Hairy-backed Bulbul high up in the canopy as was a Maroon-breasted Philentoma and 2 mega Chestnut-backed Scimitar Babblers flew across the path. I added to my babbler list with a Grey-headed Babbler plus Ferruginous Babbler and Chestnut-winged Babbler.
Along the Kingfisher Trail a nabbed another Black-crowned Pitta, Raffles Malkoha and 3 showy Buff-rumped Woodpeckers. 

Blue-throated Bee-eater

Maroon-breasted Philentoma


Diard's Trogon

Greater Racket-tailed Drongo

Buff-rumped Woodpecker

Spectacled Bulbul

After lunch at SFE we endured an uncomfortable 2.5 hour taxi transfer to Lahad Datu where after a bit of a phaff we found the Bike and Tours B&B. Lahad Datu is a bit of a dump but luckily we were at a superb B&B! Chestnut Munias were nesting on the balcony and I also has White-breatsed Woodswallows and Glossy Swiflets during a relaxing afternoon/evening rounded off with a superb meal.    

 Chestnut Munias


No comments:

Post a Comment