An ultra-rare British Orchid, 19 June 2016

Early Marsh Orchid exists in 5 forms in the UK - incarnata, pulchella, coccinea, cruenta and ochroleuca. Most of the forms are reasonably common in the right habitat where they occur with the exception of the creamy-white ochroleuca which is exceedingly rare and known from only one site in the country.
As I do most years I visited that site today and found just 7 flowering plants. This is quite a few less than most years which I do hope doesn't indicate this small population is in trouble. Conditions seem the same as every year I visit and the flowers I did see were robust specimens so fingers crossed.
Also at the same site were numerous Common Spotted Orchids and Southern Marsh Orchids plus my first Meadow Browns of the year.
Nearby when on a walk a little later we saw hundreds of Banded Demoiselles and a single Painted Lady

Early Marsh Orchid, ssp ochroleuca

Early Marsh Orchid, ssp ochroleuca

Early Marsh Orchid, ssp ochroleuca

Common Spotted Orchid

  Southern Marsh Orchid   

No comments:

Post a Comment