Hume's Leaf Warbler, Waxham, 11 January 2018

Despite the very dingy, misty conditions I had a day off today so made my way up to Waxham for a certain warbler species I hadn't seen for a number of years.

A Barn Owl near Horsey corner was the first notable bird of the day. Arriving at Waxham at 09.30 I spent a rather fruitless few hours hearing it call just once north of Shangri-la and clocking a wintering Chiffchaff as my 100th bird of the year along with a couple of Song Thrushes and Goldcrests. I walked south of Shangri-la for the 3rd time and Dave Holman waved at me to indicate he'd got it. Within a minute or two I was enjoying some great views of the Hume's Leaf Warbler, indeed it went on to show more or less continuously for about 40 minutes until I left to grab some lunch in my van. With the light and visibility still very poor I decided to grab my camera and go back to try my luck. Again it showed nicely although photographing it was really difficult. I did manage a couple of passable shots in the end after much trying! A single Fieldfare flew south and along the Horsey straight on the way back I counted 220 Mute Swans which unfortunately didn't contain any wild swans.

Still, 2 phylloscs on a January day isn't something I've done before I think. It was also nice to meet and have a chat with Marcus Nash and Carl Buttle. 


Hume's Leaf Warbler


       Chiffchaff

No comments:

Post a Comment