Lowestoft area, 11 March 2015

What I love about my job is being my own boss so when I finish a job early I can go birding!

Today was one of those days so after finishing up I headed for Lowestoft. The Glaucous Gull last seen on 8th was unsurprisingly not to be found in the Claremont Pier area so I busied myself photographing the Kittiwakes that now nest on the pier. An adult Mediterranean Gull was a nice bonus. On through the traffic to Ness Point and I was quickly watching 13 Purple Sandpipers and as ever they allowed me to get nice and close. I think 13 is a record count for me here.

Despite a look North Denes had no migrants or anything else so I opted for a drive to Kessingland for a mooch around the sewage works. 2 Chiffchaffs were my first of the year whilst the filter beds had a single Grey Wagtail amongst the numerous Pied Wagtails and a male Reed Bunting also feeding on the beds.

Back in urban Oulton Broad the wintering Common Sandpiper was still present in Mutford Lock and quickly found. A good job as I'd ditched my van in the pay and display and gambled on not buying a ticket!

Kittiwake, Claremont Pier

Kittiwake, Claremont Pier

Kittiwake, Claremont Pier

Purple Sandpiper, Ness Point

Purple Sandpipers, Ness Point

Reed Bunting, Kessingland Sewage Works

Common Sandpiper, Mutford Lock

Common Sandpiper, Mutford Lock

        

No comments:

Post a Comment