Feeling Twitchy in North Norfolk, 15 October 2015

Finishing work at lunchtime meant I could at last spend an afternoon birding - yay!

My primary aim was to see the Daurian Shrike of the last few days at Beeston Common and after the drive up there and a very short walk it was showing very well upon arrival. Despite being oput out as an Isabelline sp it looks a dead cert for Daurian to me. It continued to show really well for the whole hour I was there.  A single Chiffchaff and a Common Buzzard where the only other things seen.

While talking to Dave Norgate the news came through of an Olive-backed Pipit at Muckleburgh Hill and despite initial scepticism it seemed to be pinned down. I dashed there to find it missing but within about 15 mins it was re-found and it showed nicely albeit briefly low down in a single isolated oak. A lovely bright and clearcut individual - boom!

I finished my unashamed twitchy afternoon with a Great Grey Shrike on the marsh at Salthouse looking west from Beach Road. A couple of close Little Egrets and the first of the winters Wigeon were also by Beach Road.

Not a bad 3 hours!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment