North Queensland, Day 13, 1 Aug 2017. Tinaroo Creek, Emerald Creek Falls, Wongabel State Forest and Hasties Swamp

Today was a much more low-key day following yesterdays bird and photo extravaganza!

With the promise of dry woodland species I headed back north on a reasonablly long drive to the Tinaroo Creek area.  Parking on a side lane I slowly walked along the lane and downhill to the creek. On the way a pocket of birds incuded Blue-winged Kookaburra, Double-barred Finches, Rufous Whistler and a tick - Weebill. Down at the creek a Olive-backed Oriole showed nicely and a Scarlet Honeyeater was also by the road. Going into the bushes along the dry creekline I stood and waited for birds to come to me as there was some activity. It was a good ploy with Varied Triller, a lovely male Rufous Whistler, Little Bronze Cuckoo, Spectacled Monarch, Forest Kingfisher, White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike and Red-backed Fairy Wrens all popping into view. Then a movement to my left caught my eye and I was quickly eyeballing a lovely male Satin Flycatcher!

Rufous Whistler

White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike

Varied Triller

Moving on to Emerald Creek Falls I eventually reached the parking area after quite a trek down some sometimes steep and rutted tracks. It all proved a bit of a damp squib too with very little seen. I did managed to photograph Lewin's Honeyeater at last and saw c4 Varied Sitellas, 4 Eastern Yellow Robins, Azure Kingfisher, 2 Dusky Honeyeaters, 1 Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Striated Pardalote and 1 Scarlet Honeyeater but it was slow and hard work. I quit the scene feeling rather jaded.   
 
Lewin's Honeyeater

I headed back south and after a coffee back at the campsite I headed to Wongabel State Forest clocking up a Black-shouldered Kite en-route. The forest itself was again disappointing - and dark! Nevertheless I winkled out Orange-footed Scrubfowl, 2 Lewin's Honeyeaters, 3 Brown Gerygones, 3 Silvereye, 4 Large-billed Scrubwren, 2 Mountain Thornbills and several Red-browed Finches. I decided to finish my day back at Hasties Swamp where things hadn't changed a great deal but this time 2 Nankeen Night Herons were in the tree, 3 Swamp Harriers were about, 2 Crested Pigeons were round the corner and 8 Topknot Pigeons were close by.      

Swamp Harrier

No comments:

Post a Comment