'Weeds' in urban environments, 2 September 2021

I had reason to go 'up city' yesterday. That's Norwich for anyone not local! 

During my extensive wanderings I came across a couple of plants I'd not encountered before. I have been looking in vain for Guernsey Fleabane for a while and have looked at numerous Canadian Fleabanes in the process. With a good handle on how to seperate the two species I finally found some growing in Quayside. I knew it was only a matter of time because the species is spreading rapidly in urban areas and is now one of the most common plants in London. The other species was Perennial Wall Rocket, quite a scarce plant which I found just off Grapes Hill. Also near there was some Wall Germander which had obviously spilled out from an adjacent garden as it only occurs naturally on the Sussex downs and famously on the walls of Camber Castle. It was nice to see nonetheless and I now know what to look for when I venture down south.       

Back at home I took to examining the knotgrass growing in our drive. And discovered that it's Equal-leaved Knotgrass, a common species which wasn't on my radar until I'd started reading about it.

Working in Winfarthing earlier in the week I found some Spear Mint - seemingly naturalised.


                                                                                                                               Guernsey Fleabane
                                                                                                                                Perennial Wall Rocket

                                                                                                                                   Wall Germander
                                                                                                                            Equal-leaved Knotgrass
                                                                                                                                        Spear Mint
 

No comments:

Post a Comment