Oulton Broad/Lowestoft, 14 December 2017

A very nice few hours out in the sun albeit a tad chilly!

First port of call was Oulton Broad where I found the adult Great Northern Diver in double quick time. Moving between a boat jetty and the front of the Wherry Hotel I managed some half decent shots before moving over the road to check Mutford Lock. I was pleasantly surprised to find a wintering Common Sandpiper here along with a Little Egret, 3 Redshank and 7 Turnstone.

Through the Lowestoft traffic (nothing new there!) I went to Ness Pont where a search for Purple Sandpipers drew a blank. Luckily though I did find a juv Shag sat at close range on the rocks until a complete bellend decided to walk bewteen me and it and flush it. A Rock Pipit darted between the rocks but that was about all. I decided to warm up with an all day breakfast in the Lighthouse Cafe!

I made a quick visit to Leathes Ham on the way out of town. Apart from 3 Little Grebes and a Bullfinch it was notable for the large numbers of Shoveler present. counting was difficult due to the cover but I easily got to 110 


Great Northern Diver


Common Sandpiper

Little Egret


Shag


  Shovelers

 

No comments:

Post a Comment