Horstead Heath, 22 April 2022

Thanks to Louis Parkerson I headed out to an area I used to be familiar with yesterday - Horstead Heath, near Heggatt Hall, north of Norwich. I was visiting my parents so it was a quick whizz out from theirs.

The walk to the spot was very nice with Bluebells, Greater Stitchwort, Honesty, Garlic Mustard and Lesser Celandines lining the verges and tracksides. At the location I dived into some Birch woodland by a clearing and within a minute or two had found what I was looking for - Pill Sedge. Several clumps of this small but attractive sedge were scattered in the area where Climbing Corydalis was everywhere. Back out onto the footpath I then quickly found target no.2 - Greater Chickweed on the path sides just to the north. Again, quite a few plants once I'd got my eye in! c40 Moschatel plants were also by the path in one small area, a species that I seem to have bumped into in loads of places this spring.

On the walk back I made another nice find - a Crucifer Shieldbug on top of a Garlic Mustard flower. A new species for me and great to have it pose nicely for photos. 


                                                                                                                                 Crucifer Shieldbug


                                                                                                                                   Greater Chickweed


                                                                                                                                         Pill Sedge
                                                                                                                                          Honesty
  

No comments:

Post a Comment