Pavement plants in the fine city, 16 April 2022

A day 'up city' in Norwich on Easter Saturday. 

A couple of friends had given me locations for 2 plants on the city streets which I hadn't seen before so they were my main focus of attention. First up was a large patch of White Mustard on Coburg Street right in the city centre. When I arrived a gardener was diligently weeding but luckily I managed to persuade him to leave the White Mustard! Another brassica with distinctive leaves there caught my attention and turned out to be Mizuna, Brassica rapa var.niposinica

Then it was a hike to the second spot where I quickly found a few plants of Great Forget-me-not by a riverside path close to the Jarrold Bridge. Another naturalised plant that has no doubt escaped but has found a suitable niche for itself. Nearby I also found Early Forget-me-not and Shining Cranesbill of note.

I spent quite a bit of time in the city, mainly wandering and drinking coffee. On my wanderings I also found a large patch of Sedum kimnachii, another naturalised member of the stonecrop family with some lovely Rue-leaved Saxifrage right next to it. In Chapelfield Gardens and also in Earlham Cemetery I found the even more dodgy but nonetheless rather gorgeous Striped Squill.



                                                                                                                                  White Mustard

                                                                                                                                        Mizuna
                                                                                                                                Great Forget-me-not
                                                                                                                                 Early Forget-me-not
                                                                                                                                   Shining Cranesbill
                                                                                                                               Rue-leaved Saxifrage
                                                                                                                                      Striped Squill
                                                                                                                                 Sedum kimnachii
   

No comments:

Post a Comment