Patchwork Challenge 2013

A few days ago I decided to sign up for the 2013 Patchwork Challenge. This initiative has a light-hearted competition element but the main aim is to get people out birding their local patches and that's the reason I've gone for it. Let's face it, with the patch I've chosen I've NO chance of winning anyway!

Full details of what the Patchwork Challenge is all about can be found at here

The patch I've chosen is at Weybread Gravel Pits and the adjacent Waveney Valley close to the market town of Harleston. Most of the patch is just into Suffolk but the river forms the county boundary so parts are in my home county of Norfolk. The maps below show the location. In line with the rules the area covered is within 3 square km (in facts it's 2.932!)


 
 
Today (12 Jan 2013) I spent a couple of hours walking around the main pit to kick things off.
The highlights were:
 
Kingfisher - c6
Little Egret - 1
Goosander - 1 (fem)
[prob Richardson's Canada Goose] - 1 (with Greater Canada Geese)
Water Rail - 1
Common Buzzard - 1
Great Crested Grebe - c30
Wigeon - 1




No comments:

Post a Comment