Pallas's Warbler, Hooded Crow and more, 8 January 2017

My first venture out of 2017 because up until today work has been a bit mad! The forecast was thick fog today but in the end it turned out to be rather nicer than expected.

My first and main aim of the day was to see the rather unseasonal Pallas's Warbler at Kessingland Sewage Works and with a bit of patience some great views were eventually had (after several less than great ones!). The bird ranged quite widely in the area centered on the wooden gate. Also around the area were at least 6 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldcrests, a fly-over Grey Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Common Buzzard and a 'peeping' Kingfisher.

Next on my agenda was the Hooded Crow at Mautby and I was very lucky to find it straight away after fighting my way through the usual Oulton Broad and Yarmouth traffic. It favours the pig fields just south of Mautby Lodge. Also there was a much darker Hooded Crow hybrid.

Hooded Crow, Mautby

Halvergate isn't very far away from Mautby so I headed there next finding just 1 Cattle Egret with the cattle but it seemed to like spending most of its time in a ditch. Also there was another Kingfisher which landed on a rail really close to me but not for long enough for a photo! Amongst the c200 Pink-footed Geese there were 5 White-fronted Geese plus 2 Little Egrets.


Cattle Egret, Halvergate

As I was leaving Halvergate I got news of a reported Todd's Canada Goose with Pink-feet between Billockby and Clippesby so I hot-footed it there. Sadly a large proportion of the huge flock of geese had moved over the brow of a hill but I did pick out c8 Tundra Bean Geese and 2 White-fronted Geese and an Svalbard neck-ringed Pink-foot (no.S53, black on white)  before I moved on.

My last port of call was Ludham Airfield where after a bit of driving about I found the flock of wild swans in fields to the north of the airfield. The flock was 156 birds strong with c125 Bewick's Swans and c30 Whooper Swans. By driving along a concrete farm track I was able to get close enough for a few pics but the light was beggining to fade. 44 Egyptian Geese there were also notable.






Bewick's and Whooper Swans, Ludham         

No comments:

Post a Comment