Fen fun! 2 June 2017

A quick pop into a local fenland site after work for my annual pilgrimage to see the UKs only Early Marsh Orchids of the form 'ochroleuca'. Worryingly despite a thorough search I could only find 6 plants this year. Also up were a few Common Spotted Orchids, Southern Marsh Orchids and one specimen that would once have been 'Pugsley's Marsh Orchid' before they were determined not to be a species in theor own right. I was also able to find a patch of Common Butterwort, a very scarce plant in East Anglia.


'ochroleuca' Early Marsh Orchid

Common Butterwort


'Pugsley's' Marsh Orchid



I was lucky enough to bump into Chris Bishop releasing moths that he'd caught the night before and he kindly added a few moths to my list including some nice scarce ones - Flame Wainscot, Reed Dagger, Oblique Carpet, Pinion-streaked Snout and May Highflier.

Flame Wainscot

Reed Dagger

Oblique Carpet

 Pinion-streaked Snout 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment