Whitlingham and Thorpe Marshes, 18 April 2019

I began at Whitlingham for a little pre-Easter birding as I imagine this place will be rammed over the bank holiday weekend.

At the eastern end of Great Broad a lovely 4 Arctic Terns were fishing and with my main quarry already sorted I drove round to Bungalow Lane for a good walk around the whole of Thorpe Marshes. For my troubles a Grasshopper Warbler was reeling away in the middle of the marsh at the Bungalow Lane end and around the reserve I counted 7 Sedge Warblers, 6 Cetti's Warblers and 1 Willow Warbler plus the wintering group of 4 Goldeneye, 3 Common Buzzards and a displaying Sparrowhawk.

Back at Whitlingham in the late afternoon the Arctic Terns has been replaced by 6 Little Gulls (5 adults and 1 1st summer) and a few Common Terns.

At home in the evening I then invited myself over to my friend Ally's house at Shelton Green where she had 6 Morels growing in a secluded corner of her garden - a bonus fungi tick! 

Cetti's Warbler

Sedge Warbler




Little Gulls

Brimstone

 Comma

 Jay

Marsh Marigold


 Morels

1 comment:

  1. Terrific stuff: Morels are just so cool! I've only seen them once in the wild (as opposed to in an omelette in France!) That was in Oxfordshire, in a roadside bed with a deep covering of bark chips.

    ReplyDelete