Brecks Bits, 25 November 2021

I had a day off yesterday so with some directions I headed off to the Grimes Graves area for some fungi hunting. Sadly my target of Stinking Earthfan was nowhere to be seen even when I'd found the exact spot. Nonetheless I did have some nice fruiting bodies including Earthy Powdercap, Scurfy Deceiver, Butter Cap, Pestle Puffball, a Brittlegill sp, Snowy Waxcap and 2 new ones for me which made the trip worthwhile - Cedarwood Waxcap and Fragrant Funnel, both out of the wood on grassland. Also there I flushed a Woodcock and had Bullfinch, Siskins and Great Spotted Woodpecker

Cutting my losses I ventured the short distance to Lynford and was welcomed by 3 Bramblings, 2 Yellowhammers and several Marsh Tits in the 'tunnel' before I wandered down to the paddocks. There was initially no action there but within 20 minutes or so Hawfinches started to appear and in the end I had no less than 16 birds in the Hornbeams which was excellent. Redwings, Siskins and Mistle Thrush were also recorded there. The new cafe back near the carpark was most welcome on the way back on such a cold day!

Back near home I called in to Diss to do some errands and noted a ringed Black-headed Gull 'J0191' by the mere. It originates from Oslo, Norway and was last seen there in mid-July. Luckily it allowed very close approach and I was able to get some phone pics.

One more quick stop on the way home was a chance one at Burston church where I found some nice Parrot Waxcaps amongst the graves. 

                                                                                                                                   Cedarwood Waxcap
                                                                                                                                     Fragrant Funnel
                                                                                                                                     Earthy Powdercap
                                                                                                                                    Pestle Puffball
                                                                                                                                 Snowy Waxcap
                                                                                                                                  Scurfy Deceiver

                                                                                                                               Parrot Waxcap

                                                                                                                       Black-headed Gull 'J0191'
        

No comments:

Post a Comment