Mezereon - the botanic year starts in earnest, 12 February 2022

One of the plants on my 'hit list' for the year is the early flowering Mezereon. This curious shrub flowers before the leaves emerge with the flowers arranged in rows along the twiggy stems. It is nationally scarce and despite having details of the single Suffolk site I was recently alerted to it's presence in the Norfolk part of the Brecks. Here I found it quickly today, indeed I wish all plants were as easy to find! A few snaps later and I went for a local wander - 2 Woodlarks were singing in different clearings and I also managed a pair of Marsh Tits, Redwings and Common Buzzard while 2 Lesser Redpolls buzzed over.


                                                                                                                                       Mezereon


No comments:

Post a Comment