A little Wensum Valley birding, 30 March 2017

The Great Grey Shrike near Sparham seemed to have been regularly seen over the past few days so I popped along this morning. It literally showed within seconds of me getting out of my van in its favoured hedge by the road and then on telegraph wires by the road. By the time I'd got my scope out it had gone further along the hedge hence the hasty phone-scoped photo! Also there were a Common Buzzard and a couple of singing Yellowhammers. 

While in the area it would have been a shame not to have a wander so I settled on Sparham Pools, an old haunt of mine from years back. A couple of Blackcaps were singing by the carpark signalling an arrival over the last 2 days. Chiffchaffs were everywhere, the water was quiet with just 3 Gadwall and Great Crested Grebe but it was nice to see common birds paired up including a pair of Goldcrests, Stock Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a single female Reed Bunting. 3 more Common Buzzards circled over and then down at Lyng bridge a male Grey Wagtail was in full song and a Sparrowhawk displaying over the woods.

Great Grey Shrike, Sparham   

No comments:

Post a Comment