Winterton & Lakenham, 1 December 2020

With the weather finally having brightened up I spent a little while on Winterton beach this morning. As hoped for the 2 Iceland Gulls were still present amongst the seals. The dark individual was one I wanted to take a close look at a luckily it was the one that hung around and showed better. I'm no gull expert but the combination of dark in the primaries, a darker tail band, virtually all dark bill and coursely-marked plumage all indicate a Kumlien's Gull. Getting close was problematic as I didn't want to cause any disturbance to the seals and their pups. Also on the beach were 7 Snow Buntings, a smattering of Sanderling, several brutish Great Black-backed Gulls and of course loads of Grey Seals with young.

On the way back loads of Pink-footed Geese were by the road at Billockby but my lack of a scope means I didn't bother scanning them.

Back in Norwich I walked the whole length of Lakenham Way checking all the bridges eventually finding loads of Wall Rue plants near the top of the Hall Road bridge. Another botanical new one for me.




                                                                                                                       presumed Kumlien's Gull


                                                                                                                                             Grey Seals

                                                                                                                                            Wall Rue
  

No comments:

Post a Comment