Herringfleet Marshes, 2 March 2019

I took a trip out to Herringfleet today, a spot that has family connections with my great grandmother having lived in Somerleyton all her life.

Walking down through the woods of Herringfleet Hills I quickly found the drake Green-winged Teal asleep on one of the flashes. It did wake up once or twice but was generally pretty inactive! Apart from that just Teal, Gadwall, Shovelers and a couple of Common Snipe were seen. So I decided to relocate to the riverbank down from the Dukes Head pub at Somerleyton and on the floods between there and Smock Mill I managed to find 20+ Water Pipits, 1 Rock Pipit (presumed litoralis), 1-2 Bearded Tits, Cetti's Warbler and 3+ Little Egrets.  The count of Water Pipits was by far my largest ever.

I very pleasant morning on familiar territory (albeit from years ago) and top marks to the team who have managed the 're-wilding' of the marshes here including managing the water levels so well. It will be interesting to see what spring brings here!

 Green-winged Teal

    

No comments:

Post a Comment