Long Melford, 11 September 2021

A bit of rare plants twitching down at Long Melford.

I'd been given the locations of a couple of plants a short walk outside Long Melford. On the way I detoured to a ditch by a footpath at Finningham to catch up with a plant I've been meaning to do for ages - Water Figwort. I quickly found several straggly plants despite one side of the ditch having been strimmed!

Then it was a drive down to Long Melford where I found both my targets within a few hundred yards of each other. Firstly the sinister (and highly poisonous) Henbane growing on the very edge of an arable field. Then the parasitic Greater Dodder under a willow by the River Stour twisting itself around it's favoured host Stinging Nettle. Also in that area I found Russian Comfrey and a curious pink Scarlet Pimpernel.    

I finished my day with a couple of hours in Bury with a Thai lunch from the ladies on the market and a visit to the modern art exhibition in the Moyse's Hall Museum. 

                                                                                                                                       Water Figwort


                                                                                                                                            Henbane
                                                                                                                             pink Scarlet Pimpernel

                                                                                                                                     Greater Dodder
                                                                                                                                 Russian Comfrey
   

No comments:

Post a Comment