Eastbridge/Sizewell area, 30 August 2020

After a horrendously wet Saturday we were keen to get out walking on Sunday so headed east to the coast. Starting at Kenton Hills we did an anti-clockwise walk to the beach, north to Minsmere Sluice and inland again via the path to Eastbridge village. 

Through the woods I lifted a few of the corrugated covers layed on the ground and I revealed a young Grass Snake while another had Common Lizard. The main thing I wanted to look for was the locally rare Rock Samphire and a I found a few nice patches on the back of the beach c300 meters north of Sizewell power station. There was plenty of Common Restharrow, Sea Holly and Japanese (Sea) Rose too. A quick look at Minsmere sluice bushes revealed just a single Willow Warbler so we set off inland via a look at the old chapel ruins. Along the path I struck absolute gold (or should I say black) in the form of a mega Black Adder! This is one I'd dreamed of seeing for years and it was fantastic. Nearby was another botanical tick and one that I've had on my to-do list for a while - Marsh Mallow plus Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea.

I then made my 3rd visit to the RNR near Henham on the way home and found just one Orpine plant with a small flower on top. It looks like this shy-flowering plant is having an extra shy year!


                                                                                                                                     Rock Samphire
                                                                                                                                        Black Adder
                                                                                                                                  Marsh Mallow
                                                                                                               Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea
                                                                                                                                          Orpine

     

No comments:

Post a Comment