White-tailed Lapwing - new for Norfolk, 10 April 2022

The exciting news on Saturday evening was that the much hoped-for had happened - the long staying White-tailed Lapwing had finally made it's way into Norfolk. Cue a Sunday twitch!

I waited on news and luckily it was out nice and early so I set off on the long drive over to Ken Hill Marshes. Finding a parking space surprisingly easily I set off on the long walk north along the inner sea wall. Despite my hurry Barn Owl and a reeling Grasshopper Warbler were clocked up along the way (the Gropper being my earliest ever). Arriving at the far northernmost pool the White-tailed Lapwing was seen straight away feeding towards the back edge of the water. Not quite the views I'd had at Blacktoft back in October but still very nice and another Norfolk tick at last after 18 months without one! While watching it a Common Crane flew over, circled and landed just to the north. 

After I'd had my fill I wandered back in rather less of a hurry seeing the Barn Owl again, this time with prey, a flyover Whimbrel and numerous singing Chiffchaffs and Cetti's Warblers

                                                                                                                               White-tailed Lapwing
   

No comments:

Post a Comment