Thorpe Marshes and Barnham Broom, 4 January 2018

With the forecast for the morning rain clearing by lunchtime I headed to Norwich for my second visit to Thorpe Marshes this week. This time I remembered my wellies and it was a good job I did - the northern path parallel to the railway line was under water and deep enough to come within an inch of the top of my wellies! It was well worth the effort though because the wintering male Bearded Tit showed very nicely on the near edge of the block of reeds. A wander/splosh around the reserve revealed c35 Pochard, the female Ferruginous Duck x Pochard hybrid, c40 Gadwall, plus Shovelers, Great Crested Grebe and 4 Coot. Away from the main body of water 3 Cetti's Warblers, Reed Bunting, Water Rail (heard only), 2 Jays, Siskins (in alders by the railway line), Great Spotted Woodpecker, female Sparrowhawk and a fly-through Marsh Harrier.





Bearded Tit

Marsh Harrier

Ferruginous Duck x Pochard hybrid


I left the site at about 13.30 and headed along the southern bypass to Barnham Broom where c12 Red Kites came in to roost, c200 Fieldfares were under the poplars and 3 Mistle Thrushes, 2 Song Thrushes and a handful of Redwings made it a bit of a thrush-fest.





  Red Kites      

No comments:

Post a Comment