Westleton, Dunwich & Eastbridge, 26 January 2018

A glorious sunny day out on the Suffolk coast to connect with a few lingering goodies that happened to be yearticks too!

I began on Westleton Heath where both 2 Woodlarks and c8 Dartford Warblers were both in the bag within minutes. The Dartfords seemed to be singing everywhere. A pair of Stonechats were also kicking about.

Dartford Warbler

I ventured into Dunwich next where walk though Greyfriars Wood gave me a lovely Firecrest plus a couple of Goldcrests before I moved on to the beach carpark. Here I walked up the beach south but with no luck turned to walk back only for the Glaucous Gull to fly past me then inti the sun as it headed south. 

Without further ado I then hot-footed it to Eastbridge where the Glossy Ibis was showing nicely albeit a bit distantly looking west from the bridge north of the Eels Foot. A Cetti's Warbler was singing there plus a distant drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Glossy Ibis

I then opted to spend the rest of the day on the long hike north from Dunwich beach carpark. Offshore I soon found the single Long-tailed Duck with c20 Common Scoter, c30 Red-throated Divers and c6 Great Crested Grebes. The Glaucous Gull was now on the beach several hundred yards to the north but when I walked that way it had vanished! On the walk north 9 Snow Buntings were along the single ridge (I stopped to photograph them on the way back) then c20 Twite with c30 Linnets by the beach pools. A Marsh Harrier, a Rock Pipit and 2 Reed Buntings followed then eventually I found a Great White Egret in the reeds opposite Sandymount Covert in the same spot it was back in December! Later on the walk back a 2 Great White Egrets got up while I was looking back and a Stonechat was on the ridge. 

Yearlist = 119

Great White Egret




 Snow Buntings



No comments:

Post a Comment