Rough-legged Buzzard and a new pair of bins! 7 December 2019

Today began with a visit to Cley Spy where I at last took and plunge and upgraded my bins! I've had a pair of the original Leica Trinovids for at least 25 years so they really don't owe me anything. What did I upgrade to? Another up to date version of 10x42 HD Leica Trinovids!

Their first action was about 20 minutes later up at Wells where the juvenile Rough-legged Buzzard gave me some truly memorable views over the marsh just west of the town. I'd go so far as to say my best ever views of the species.  A Common Buzzard was also nearby for useful comparison.




 Rough-legged Buzzard

Wandering into Wells for a coffee and some lunch I found the juvenile Shag at the quay in double quick time. There were also 6 Little Grebes and a Little Egret there and no shortage of Brent Geese.


  Shag

I then ambled along the coast the short distance to Burnham Overy Marsh where 7 Cattle Egrets and 3 Great White Egrets were my best counts in the county. A scan from the coast road also revealed c80 Barnacle Geese, loads of Pink-footed Geese, c30 Brent Geese, c2000 Golden Plover, Red Kite, Common Buzzard, Marsh Harrier and a close female Sparrowhawk.

I'm off to Sri Lanka tomorrow so hoping my new optics will get a really good field test...

No comments:

Post a Comment